Aussies Shocked By Revelations About Britain’s Rolf Harris

Australians say they are stunned by the allegations made against British national treasure Rolf Harris.

The English performer – who once spent a summer in Australia – became famous for his catchy songs and quirky instruments.

“I’m shocked to see this other side of the quintessentially English star,” Melbourne music historian Ray Whitlam said, adding, “I hear he spent a weekend in Australia once”.

While Harris spent most of his life in England – and often played on his English upbringing – records show he spent a brief afternoon in Australia in the early 1950s.

For breaking stories, follow The Shovel on Facebook and Twitter. Or sign up for email updates at the bottom of this page.

Become a Shovel member. Or follow us on Email | Facebook Twitter Instagram

1. Tony

June 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm

So all that stuff about Jake the Peg and his extra leg was code?

• Tigger

June 6, 2014 at 5:33 pm

….not to mention Oliver Polyp the Octopus….. Is anybody left alive who remembers the Boy from Bassendean…??

2. Dave Moore

June 9, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I love Rolf …He is my friend. Love Big Dave

3. Kali

June 11, 2014 at 11:58 am

Rolf was a family friend of ours at one time, until we worked out he was a pedophile back around 2000, sick freak.

4. Arron

June 12, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Rolf is love, Rolf is life

5. Malcolm Wilson

June 18, 2014 at 9:19 am

So far all I have read in the newspapers about his trial seems to be an attempt to hang him by innuendo. Much of the activity described was about what he did with adults. What relevance does that have on an accusation about paedophilia? All it shows is a pattern of behaviour with adults. And all of it so long ago. I just remember that Julia Gillard said she can’t remember what happened two and a half years ago let alone ten – and I fully agree with her. If the reports are right it is a ridiculous trial.