The Shovel has a team of 400 full-time writers working in a satirical factory in Guangzhou, but we do also use freelance submissions. We even pay for published articles (although it may be in Chinese Yuan).
Follow the guidelines below:
- The headline is the most important bit. Make it brilliant.
- Keep it short.
- The majority of the articles we publish are mock news-style, but we will consider other formats (like how-to guides, editorial style pieces, listicles, cartoons etc). Articles exposing the subversive communist undertones of Peppa Pig should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sending your ideas to us
- Email your idea to hello (at) theshovel (dot) com (dot) au
- In your subject heading write ‘Submission’ followed by your headline (or your best headline if you have multiple)
- We try to get back to as many people as possible with a mock-polite rejection letter, but if we don’t, please don’t be offended. If you don’t hear from us within 2 weeks, assume that your piece won’t be published.
- By sending us your submission, you give us permission to edit your article and publish it in any format.