Brandis Reassures Australians: Data Retention Laws Only For People Using World Wide Web

george brandis bookshelf

The Government’s new data retention laws will only apply to those young folk using the Information Superhighway, Attorney-General George Brandis has confirmed.

In an interview this evening Mr Brandis said for most Australians there would be no change. “We’re not going to be accessing your letters, we’re not interested in what electronic facsimiles you send, or the telegrams you receive,” he said.

“This is just for those people using electronic computers. For the rest of us, there’s nothing to worry about”.

For breaking stories, follow The Shovel on Facebook and Twitter. Or sign up for email updates at the bottom of this page.

1. Florence nee Fedup

August 6, 2014 at 10:54 pm

“young folk using the Information Superhighway”

What world does this mob live in. I am 72, I am sure the couple hundred media experts within the Departments, read what I post each day. We all use the technology. If they are pushing policy, they should at least know what it is a about.

Abbpott’s effort was even worse.

2. Duncan

August 7, 2014 at 10:32 am

Brandis later addressed concerns about Australia post keeping the front part of envelopes by assuring questioners that “the letters won’t fall out and they’re not doing that anyway, it was just a bad metaphor, geez.”

3. cj

August 7, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Never in my wildest dreams could I have envisaged a government so inept, so divisive and so downright corrupt. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

4. Dennis

August 7, 2014 at 7:13 pm

He should go to Tafe and get an education from a good public vocational trainer.

5. Martyn

August 7, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Oh I don’t know, cj, they probably got at least this idea from Conroy.

But yeah, as a general thing…no argument. It’s thoroughly out of control.

Florence, it was a bit satirical there. Though I wouldn’t be too surprised if there ARE Libs who’re yet to fire up a computer and still spout the dated term. I heard it used, unironically, just last year.

6. harley

August 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

Vote now in the poll to decide which is Abbott’s stoopidest Cabinet Minister! George “Soapy” Brandis? Or Eric “Hollywood” Abetz?

7. Maybe Satire

August 8, 2014 at 2:38 pm

In breaking news:

Mr Brandis is now giving Mr Abbot lessons about how to use the internet. After alarming signs of computer awareness from Mr Turnbull who started explaining ip addresses and metadata, Mr Brandis was forced to intervene to preserve Mr Abbott from being corrupted. Mr Brandis now assures us that our revered and beloved leader still maintains the same level of computer awareness he had before.

In separate news, Mr Pyne accused Mr Turnbull of undermining the government’s education policy by actually imparting information more recent than the 1950s.

8. Gemma

August 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Lol, these men running in the Government as faceless and thick-head egos are actually the losers in Australia. They just seemed not to know what to do with the powers so they just making the stuff up as they go.

9. Florence nee Fedup

August 8, 2014 at 6:37 pm

That conference was held in Melbourne. Wonder if there was any government money for it.

10. Mary Sciberras