Man Forced To Watch Concert With His Own Eyes

The Shovel is Australia’s satire website. For more, follow The Shovel on Facebook and Twitter.

A thirty-eight year old man from Brisbane was left with no alternative but to watch an entire concert with his eyes, after he mistakenly left his phone at home.

“I was pretty gutted when I realised what I’d done. It’s not every day that you get to look at a video on your phone,” Christian Howard, of Holland Park said. Despite being phoneless, Mr Howard decided to stay on at the concert anyway.

“My mates thought I was crazy. It was pretty weird, I must admit. I had no idea what to do with my hands. And everything seemed really large and vivid. It was almost as if I was actually there”.

Mr Howard said he rushed home after the concert to watch a low-grade recording of the concert on YouTube. “At least I feel like I’ve got my money’s worth now,” he said.

The Shovel is Australia’s satire website. For more, follow The Shovel on Facebook and Twitter.

1. jon22

January 15, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Why r u such selfish gits, if a girl puts up her phone to get some video, consider this: half of them at the gig r too short or too far away to even see the faces of the band at most venues, due to tall people [blokes] in front & the venue being too big. People enjoy taking photos & vid, esp with a zoom.
    And dont give me crap about respect, people push past to go to the loo, come thru spilling drinks, talk, shout, sing like an idiot, jump up & down, smell of cigs, crowd surf, hold there arms in the air [with or without phone] sit on shoulders, vomit on the floor. i.e. at live gigs… anything goes.
    And what makes u think that when using a phone/cam they r not still enjoying the gig, feeling the vibe, hearing the noise, seeing the action [=usually just musicians standing on stage]. There is a huge difference between the buzz of live music & watching to DVDs at home & thats why people r there…for their own individual reasons. Few bands r good enough to capture undivided attention for the entire gig. So…if u get upset about people enjoying themselvs at gigs with their phone…stay at home loser, watch a dvd, but turn off ya phone first..

• Brigtop

January 17, 2014 at 8:26 pm

point missed entirely for selfish reasons. well done.

• HSN

April 13, 2014 at 3:58 am

Apart from missing the point: if you’re shorter than the one standing in front of you, your arms are generally shorter than those of the one standing in front of you as well. So holding up a camera only manages, just like him/her, only results in seeing arms instead of heads. How is that any better?

2. parker

January 17, 2014 at 6:36 am

try hard^^

3. Daniel

February 26, 2014 at 5:34 pm

For those who wants to take long video with their phone in concerts, I have an iPhone pistol grip for sale at

• The Shovel

February 26, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Oh fuck. I think humanity just hit a new low.

4. pants

May 5, 2014 at 4:47 am

I didn’t really laugh… but that’s probably because I RARELY waste time recording live performances on my phone. I like to enjoy what’s going on when I get there. I like to observe the musicians and what they do, get in the music, get sweaty and have fun. I don’t really see the fun in recording it when most likely all you’ll see is FLASH FLASH FLASH *flailing arms* FLASH FLASH, and hear CRACK BUZZ STATIC RATTLE *faint sung lyrics* RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. And on top of that, you’ll find about 30 videos online with better angles that whatever angle you had. So yeah, this is pretty dumb, but indeed an amusing observation.

5. getoverit

May 5, 2014 at 8:31 am

omg…. so people who moan about people filming are too busy watching and stressing over that than to blank it out and watch the event itself. but saying that, those who were born before 90′s remember life without mobiles so back then people just moaned they cant see anything because of heads…..

most people record and take photos at concerts for memories of being there at that time in that moment. they pay for their ticket not the strangers at that event. so if peoples phones bother you then get closer seats to the stage..
    so what if you book a family concert ticket and member couldn’t go because they were ill or something? what would you do?
    its all no different to going on holiday and taking pics and filming. majority of people that also film gigs are the ones that live 100 plus miles away from the events and most likely work all the time.
    yeah picture and sound quality will be poor but so what, its music, you don’t listen through your eyes.

everyone has their own opinion, just because you say it “how it is” doesn’t mean its wrong or right!
    the stars of the show dont care bout shitty phones as quality is poor and not going to be close up shot for the world to see plus its more advertising for them without those people making profits of their shows.

batteries on phones wouldn’t last long if filming on it.

look at it this way, say you’re at a gig with someone whether family, partner or a friend. then at some point after may it be a day, a month or so something terrible happens to that person and that gig was the last big thing you did together. how would you feel knowing that you could of used a phone and recorded that time and to cherish it. but you dont so its going to be forever just a memory in your head that youll try so hard to recall that image that one day you will just forget.

we all do things that will annoy others, its life. no matter what we do we’ll never make everyone happy!!!

Because we are only human and we decide for ourselves what we think it best.

i don’t know why i am ranting, as this is a pointless topic when there are more important things in life worth debating for.

6. J Peter

July 14, 2014 at 11:46 am

shame on you all australians for the way u trade wool. I’ve been noticed about the criminal way you treat those poor animals to take them the wool. You are so cruel and criminal ppl !

7. Tamzen Temple

July 19, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Wow, I can’t believe this is happened. In fact I think you fabricated the whole story. Probably photo shopped the camera phone out as it just isn’t possible. If it is true, well done for the amazing journalism, great to finally find another blog as informative that brings breaking that no one else picks up on. Amazing. Following and now a favorite. Peace and Ommmm from the Temple.