Putin And Abbott Bond Over Bare-Chested Tiger Wrestling

Tony Abbott satire

Any animosity between Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Russian President Vladimir Putin at yesterday’s APEC meetings was put to one side last night, as the two leaders went out for some casual tiger wrestling.

“It was an opportunity for a couple of blokes to take their shirts off, put aside their differences, have a tussle with some wild animals and get the testosterone pumping,” Mr Abbott said.  “He teased me about my cycling – he thinks it’s a girls’ sport. I had a very, very gentle prod at his human rights record. Very gentle – I’m actually not sure if he heard. So it was really just a lot of fun”.

Mr Putin said the Australian Prime Minister was welcome in Russia any time. “I invited him to my charity bear-riding event in Siberia next winter. I won the event last year blindfolded. So we’ll see how tough this guy really is”.

The Shovel is Australia’s satire website. For more, follow The Shovel on Facebook and Twitter

1. Minbani (@Minbani)

October 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm

What is ‘it’ with Australia’s Prime Minister? Why does he insist on being photographed in his “Budgie-smugglers” – emphasizing which way he dresses – with more hair on his chest than on his head.

His ego over his fitness level (fitness which is commendable) lacks dignity for his new position as PM. Can you visualize Winston Churchill or even Hitler in such garb spread across the London Times or Der Spegel?

At least Putin has the dignity to cover his private parts even if he has to shave his chest for each outing 🙂

• Minbani (@Minbani)

October 9, 2013 at 7:40 pm

~ and yes, I know it is photoshopped satire ~

• Red Sword

October 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

Please explain “dignity”. Its not in my NSW dictionary.

• Ron Preston

October 12, 2013 at 1:03 am

Check Wickepedia for your answer

• Ron Preston

October 12, 2013 at 1:00 am

I think our PM just loves showing off his body to
      the girls.

• Tim

October 14, 2014 at 5:16 am

Nudge nudge wink wink say no more!

2. Fred Jones

October 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Let’s all get together and abuse wildlife! It will be manly fun!

3. journolillianaltman

October 9, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I can’t stop staring at the abs!

4. Colin Capon

October 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Who cares what he wears – slag off at lifesavers because that is what they wear and gee guess what tony is a lifesaver.

• Frankie Blei

October 10, 2013 at 2:00 am

yeah great – he’s a lifesaver – but not in the middle of a tropical forest. He’s sickening and sooooo vain, it’s unbelievable.

• The point is..

October 10, 2013 at 10:48 pm

You do understand satire and recognise the use of photoshop, surely? Loath as I am to defend anything that Abbott did or did not do, ever.

5. John Mimo

October 9, 2013 at 11:24 pm

what happened to the daggy netball dad?

6. rufus

October 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Can’t you see this is photo shopped?
    Before that they were actually holding hands

7. Cameewhammy

October 10, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Put some clothes on Abbott!! Sick of seeing you half naked perhaps you should think more about improving Australian policy then improving your ego!!

8. anonymous

October 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm

yeah, because abbott walks around ABSOLUTELY ALL THE TIME in his speedo’s.

fucking idiots.

9. Jack

October 10, 2013 at 3:52 pm

And there it is, the intelligence of an Abbott supporter “Fucking Idiots”

10. tony kevin

October 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

As satire this is near enough to be true!. it took me a while to twig to it. ….

11. James Murphy

October 13, 2013 at 7:07 am

What is wrong with Australian politics, and political discourse, when political satire (yes, it’s satire, for those who were too stupid to realise it – google it if you still don’t understand) like this article, provokes, not witty, humourous responses, but stupid, narrow minded, and mindless “I hate the Liberals and/or Tony Abbott” comments, or indeed, equally stupid and mindless “I hate Labor” comments on other articles. Grow up, and get some perspective, and a sense of humour! Not everything has to be a political battleground for your petty little squabbles.

Personally, I would love to see some good old fashioned tiger wrestling – perhaps in place of Question Time, but only if it’s a particularly hungry and endangered species of tiger, though I imagine the RSPCA would be upset, with claims of cruelty to tigers based on the need for them to be in close proximity to politicians.

• keskersay

December 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Well said

12. Putin Abbott in his place

November 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

Excellent comment.

Tony Abbott is doing exactly the same as Vladimir Putin in combining a macho sports persona with politics, to bypass the mainstream media (ie the people’s brains) and go directly to their heart.

I’ve just discovered this site after a friend mentioned your “science has been banned from Australia” story. Hilarious!