Australian Newspapers As Surprised As Anyone About Refugee Readership Numbers

political satire Australia

Australia’s struggling newspapers may have been thrown a lifeline in the form of the lucrative refugee readership segment.

A spokesperson for one major newspaper group said that until the Government asked them to place full-page ads targeting would-be refugees, they had no idea their titles were so popular amongst the ‘asylum set’.

“Perhaps foolishly, we’d never done any research into readership numbers in the refugee camps in Jordan or the half-way houses in Jakarta,” she said. “But if the Government is willing to spend all this money on ads aimed exclusively at these people, there must be strong interest there”.

She said very few of the printed editions were sent overseas, which suggested the online and tablet editions of the newspapers were the format of choice for refugees.

She predicted advertisers would be quick to jump on board to target this burgeoning market segment.

Want more political satire? Follow The Shovel on Facebook and Twitter

1. David Somerfield

July 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Yes sarcasm is fine but you will find those adverts are targeted at people who are already here but who are in contact with their relatives overseas so the word will definitely get back that way. It is a valid option to use the Australian newspapers to get the word out…even though I am not a real supporter of this new policy I at least have the brains to understand the reason for these adverts.

• Get a brain, morans!!

July 23, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Derp, David. Derp.

2. Ro Bailey

July 22, 2013 at 4:29 pm

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking, imagining an asylum seeker sitting on the stump of a coconut palm in Jakarta reading the Age and saying “Bugger, have to cancel my spot by the leak in the boat now!”.

3. stargazer

July 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Rather than refugees or asylum seekers, I think they’re aimed at swinging voters right here in Australia.

• Rob

July 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Oh, right. Hadn’t thought of it like that.

• Ro Bailey

July 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Yes stargazer, despite my sarcasm, I agree, the ads are aimed at voters here, not asylum seekers.

4. notwrinklesbutlaughlines

July 25, 2013 at 9:16 am

I think some people are forgetting the rather key element of this website… SATIRE. Not that it isn’t amusing to read some comments… Sarcasm and subtle wit is such a lost art on some people!

5. John

July 25, 2013 at 11:27 am

I think that we should be like England and turn all the boats around because they are not refugees. They leave a country (Indonesia) where they are not persecuted and the have there own religion. They are not broke because they pay $5000.00 a person to get on these boats

• don benosee

August 9, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Yes. Yes you are stupid enough not to get the joke.Yes.